Thai Isaan Food Recipe: Ho Mok Gai Sai No Mai
(Chicken and Bamboo Wrapped with Banana Leaves)
1 cup chicken or fish
5 red onions
4 tbsp. lemongrass cut finely
5 red chili peppers (as many as you like)
4 galingal pieces
1 cup basil (mang luk)
1/2 cup fermented fish juice
2 tbsp. fish sauce
2 cups bamboo
1 and 1/2 cup green leaves juice
3 tbsp. uncooked sticky rice
4 big pieces of banana leaves (12 x 7 inches)
1 cup mushroom
tooth pick (the clean one! please! 🙂
1. Ground onions, lemongrass, galingale, and red chili peppers together to make paste.
2. Scrape bamboo with fork. In the pot, mix chicken with the paste from above.
3. Then add shredded bamboo, mushroom, green leave juice, fermented fish juice, fish sauce and
basil. (see the pictures)
4. Turn up the side which has lighter color. Put two leaves together and turn the each soft edges to a different way.
5. Next, add stuff on the leaves and wrap it. (see how to wrap on my cooking video)
6. Stick the leaves together with toothpick.
7. Steam for 20 minutes.
This food is Thai Isaan’s favorite one. I’m so happy my husband loves it. Even when he doesn’t like the food, he ate it all and didn’t complain. 🙂 He’s so cute.