Pad Buab – Zucchini Stir Fry with Shrimp
Pad means stir-fried food. Buab (boo-ub) means zucchini.
Preparation for Zucchini Stir-fry
- Zucchini – 1 cup (peeled and cut).
- Shrimp – 1/2 cup (peeled, deveined, and soft-boiled; you can also use pork or chicken).
- Egg – 1.
- Garlic – 2 sections from a clove, about 2 tbsp., crushed.
- Oyster Sauce – 2 tbsp.
- Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp.
- Sugar – 1 tsp.
- Fish Sauce – 1 tbsp. It’s salty, so be careful if you don’t want much salty taste.
- Vegetable Oil – 1 tbsp.
Instructions for Cooking Pad Buab
1. Heat the pan. Add vegetable oil and use medium heat.
2. When the pan is hot, add garlic. Stir fry until it has an aromatic smell.
3. Add sliced pork or chicken in this step if you choose to cook it with meat. Cook for 5-8 minutes. If you cut the piece thick, you may have to cook it longer. Usually, I slice the piece thin and will take just 5 minutes to be done.
4. Next, add zucchini. Juice from zucchini will come out definitely.
5. Add fish sauce. I always add fish sauce first because it gives a unique smell that can increase people’s appetite 🙂 especially, for Thai people.
6. Add a small amount of water.
7. Add sugar, soy sauce and oyster sauce. Stir fry for 3 minutes
8. Now, use a spatula to move everything on the side. Add egg and stir it with a spatula.
9. Wait for 10 seconds then mix everything together. Add soft-boiled shrimps at this step if you choose to cook it with shrimps.
10. Turn off the fire and remove it from the pan.
This zucchini recipe is one I made for Hubby’s mom when she came to visit us from the United States. Hubby remembered that Zucchini was one of her favorite vegetables and he remembered when she arrived. I found some at the local night market and I made this recipe for her. She loved it!