Khanom Pang Na Moo – Pork and Bread
In Thai language, ขนมปังหน้าหมู
In Thai, Khanom Pang means bread. Na means face. Moo means pork. This is like an appetizer and it can be served before the rest of your Thai food and give you something to snack on while you wait for the main courses to arrive at your restaurant table.
Preparation for Thai Minced Pork and Bread
White Bread – 5 slices. If you prefer wheat bread, that works too!
Minced Pork – 1/2 cup.
Eggs – 1 egg
Minced Garlic – 2 tbsp. Some of us use more garlic. Some of us have Hubbies that love the stuff!
Coriander Root – 1 tbsp.
Oyster Sauce – 1 tbsp.
Fish Sauce – 1 tbsp.
Sugar – 1 tsp. We use white sugar, but we’re not prejudiced. Use brown sugar or honey – up to you!
Soy Sauce – 1 tbsp.
White Pepper – 1 tsp.
Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp. roughly cut leaves.
Vegetable Oil – 2 cups. Well, you’re deep frying it, so it should be deep.
Group 2 – Side Salad
Cucumber – 4 tbsp. of chopped.
Red Onion – 2 tbsp. sliced.
Chili Pepper – 1 tbsp. sliced.
Sugar 2 tbsp.
Vinegar – 1 tbsp.
Water – 2-3 tbsp. hot.
Cooking Thai Minced Pork and Bread Recipe
1. Grind the garlic, coriander root, and white pepper together.
2. In a bowl, mix pork, oyster sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and the mix from step 1. Beat the egg and mix it well in a bowl. After that add coriander leaves.
3. Spread the pork on top of plain bread pieces.
4. Now, heat the pan and add vegetable oil. Use medium heat. Wait until it’s hot.
5. When the pan is hot, fry the bread. Sink the pork side into the hot oil first. On low heat, cook that side until it has a golden yellow color.
6. Flip the other side and cook until it has a tasty color. 🙂
7. After that, remove them from the pan and lay them on paper towels.
8. Mix side salad ingredients together. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Then add cucumber, red onion, and pepper. Serve in a small cup on a side.
Pro Cooking Tip
Remember to wait until the oil is hot first before dropping the pork bread to fry it or the bread will soak up with oil from the pan. Then you’ll have a mess! 🙂