Khanom Nang Led or Khao Dtan (Sweet Crispy Rice)
1 cup sticky rice
3 tbsp. watermelon juice
1 tbsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. drinking water
1 tbsp. honey
1/2 cup palm sugar
1. Soak sticky rice in hot water for about 2 hours. You can also soak the sticky rice in regular water overnight. Any way that will help you save time. 🙂 Steam the sticky rice in boiling water for 20 minutes. Use medium fire.
2. During the time we are waiting for the sticky rice to be ready, mix watermelon juice, sugar, and salt together.
3. When the sticky rice is done, remove into a big bowl and then add the juice from step 2. Mix well.
4. After that, find a plastic cap from coffee jar or any jar any shape. It should be 1/2 inch thick. However, you can forget about a plastic cap. Let’s shape it nice by our hands. Don’t make it too thick or all the part will not get even crispy.
5. The fun part is that you can ask little kids to help. They will like it a lot. I asked my cousin to help before but they make my white sticky rice turns black. 🙂 haha
Clean their hands first! 🙂
My mom is very tricky – haha. Making it at home and enjoy with your family we can skip many step. She dried the sticky rice that we cooked too much each time and couldn’t finish all of it. Break it into small part with your finger, this will help it dry quick. After we fried it, pour sweet condensed milk and sugar. 🙂 Test good and quick!
6. Get back to the next step after we finished making it into shapes.
7. Now, arrange them on a tray. Dry them with sunshine for 2 days or until it is completely dry.
8. Then, deep fry them in hot vegetable oil. Use medium heat. When it’s cooked both sides, remove from the pan and leave them drain.
9. Boil 2 tbsp of water on low heat. Add palm sugar and keep stirring. When the palm sugar mixed well with water, turn off fire. It should be soft and flexible.
10. Pour the syrup on top of crispy rice. When it is cool down, the sugar will stick together. Then, you can store it in a plastic bags or container. You can keep them at room temperature for a couple weeks.