Puak Tod – Deep Fried Taro – เผือกทอด
1 cup sliced taro
(same shape as McDonald’s French fried but thicker, 1 cm. thick and 7 cm long)
3/4 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 cup scraped coconut
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. roasted white sesame
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup vegetable oil
2 tbsp. concentrated tamarind juice
3 tbsp. palm sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. hot water
2 tbsp. roasted and crushed peanut
1 tsp. dried chili pepper (ground)
1 tsp. coriander leaves
1. Sieve wheat flour, rice flour and baking power together. After that, add salt, scraped coconut and keep adding small amount of water while you mix it. Later, add roasted sesame. Add taro and mix them all well.
2. Heat the pan and add vegetable oil. Wait until it’s hot. Pick the taro and drop it into the hot vegetable oil, one by one.
3. Deep fry until it has golden yellow color then flip the other side.
4. Remove from the pan when it’s ready. Put them on paper towel.
5. Now, prepare the sauce. Heat palm sugar and water on low fire, then wait until it gets thick. Don’t add to much water or you will have to wait for a long time.
6. After that, add tamarind juice and salt. Mix well and then turn of the fire. Add peanut, chili pepper and dress coriander leave on top. 🙂 Serve on the side.
Use sweet plum sauce or chicken sauce when you are lazy. 🙂