Gang Som Naw Mai Dong – Spicy Bamboo Soup
6 red onions (sliced)
3 lemongrass stalks (finely cut)
3 scallions (cut short, about 1″)
1 tsp. salt
6 tbsp. fish sauce
1 pound chicken breast (cut thick)
1.5 pound pickled bamboo shoots
1/2 cup basil
2 cups water
1. Make paste by mixing peppers, cut lemongrass, red onion and chop it in the blender.
2. Put 2 cups of water in the pot, and use high heat. Then add the paste from step 1 along with 1 tsp. of salt.
3. Wait until the water has boiled, then put chicken breast, pickled bamboo shoots, and 6 tbsp. of fish sauce.
4. Cook for 8-10 minutes with high heat.
5. Turn off the fire, add scallion and basil.
6. Serve over Jasmine rice. Your rice is important, there are many varieties. Usually if you buy expensive Jasmine rice in the Asian market you’ll get the better rice.
This is another of my husband’s favorite recipes. It is a spicy and sour soup that is served over rice. The smell of the pickled bamboo and the lemongrass and basil altogether is almost overwhelming. It’s incredibly delicious and a Thai favorite.
My Video of Gang Som Naw Mai Dong!
If you have suggestions for what you’d like us to cook, please write me at the contact link above.
We will try to bring you a Thai Food Recipe and Cooking article everyday! Make sure you view some of the videos too! At some point we’ll put all the videos – in better quality of course, on a CD-ROM and offer them for sale.
Ok, Merry Christmas!